- How successfully has the environmental theme been integrated into UK City of Culture 2021?
- Have attitudes towards the environment changed in Coventry?
- What should organisers of future cultural mega-events consider in relation to environmental integration?
The webinar was held on Thursday 8 December 2022.
This focus study examined how appreciation for the natural environment was integrated into UK CoC 2021 and how people’s attitudes and behaviours towards the environment changed as a result.
This was particularly important, as it was the first time that there had been an explicit focus upon the natural environment within a UK City of Culture programme.
How successfully has the environmental theme been integrated into UK City of Culture 2021?
A report is available on the Integrating the Environment focus study page that provides an overview of findings and conclusions. The team has also described its findings across a series of four videos.
The webinar explored how:
- the natural environment theme came to be an explicit focus within UK CoC 2021
- people experienced environmental activities and events within the programme
- the behaviours of organisations, communities and individuals were influenced.
It concluded with a discussion of learnings from the research and recommendations that have been made for future events which seek to integrate environmental dimensions within a cultural (mega-)event.
The event was designed for a range of stakeholders including academics, students, local administrators, organisers of cultural (mega-)events and members of the public.
It was part of the monitoring and evaluation team’s programme of reflective Coventry UK City of Culture 2021 events.